[gdal-dev] RFC 29: OGR Set Desired Fields

christopher.schmidt at nokia.com christopher.schmidt at nokia.com
Thu Jul 29 13:09:37 EDT 2010

On Jul 29, 2010, at 1:07 PM, ext Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Tamas Szekeres wrote:
>> Martin,
>>
>> I didn't follow all conclusions made earlier in this thread, but I don't
>> think it makes much sense to enable/disable the special fields since
>> those are derived from the attributes of the feature instead of fetching
>> the values physically from the data source. For example OGR_STYLE
>> corresponds to OGRFeature::GetStyleString() which can provide a
>> meaningful value even if the styles are not handled/supported by a
>> particular driver.
>
> Tamas,
>
> Geometry is generally derived from the physical data source, and knowing
> that it can be ommitted can save substantial io and processing.  I must
> confess this is less obvious with regard to styles.  I can *imagine*
> styles being expensive to collect and form in some cases but I can't
> think of any existing driver collecting the style string is particularly
> expensive.

One that occurs to me is the KML driver, where styles may exist seperately
from the features; parsing the style KML (and applying all the cascading
stylesheets, etc.) could be expensive, and excluding it could save
some processing time in theory.

In practice, I don't know whether this is the case for the current driver.

-- Chris