[gdal-dev] Calculate lat lon of image corners knowing center's lat lon

ogr user mrxonx at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 16:20:11 EDT 2010

The answer is - it depends. If you know the image projection (Mercator?)
and the precise scale of the image - it may be enough to have just one
point (think - a tile from Google maps).
To georeference an image in a general case (assuming the image has
simple linear proportions) requires at least 2 (really at least 3)
points (otherwise the system of equations won't be solvable) and more
would be better. Once you solve it - you can get coordinates of any
other points in the image.