[gdal-dev] ESRI file geodatabase support

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Jun 9 18:58:06 EDT 2010

I've lost all confidence that ESRI's as yet unpublished API will be open
enough to allow gdal/ogr to use it without reverse engineering.

Although promised years ago (ESRI UC, 2007) they've been dragging their
feet and being quite close mouthed about the whole thing. Even as
recently as a few months ago they have been unwilling to even say if it
will be usuable without purchasing a run-time license. Apparently they
did say at the March developer summit that there will be no support for
Annotation, Relationships, Networks, Topologies, Representations,
Terrains and Parcel Fabrics in FGDB API. Simple Features only, and C++ only.

Personally, I think it's time to give up waiting for the fgdb api and
start looking into a truly open source alternative for a shapefile
successor. SpatialLite is the best candidate I know of.

Of course we can't ignore the fgdb as for better or ill we still live
and operate within an ecosystem dominated by ESRI. It just won't be the
next lingua franca, used by all as a common exchange format.

Sources:

http://forums.esri.com/Thread.asp?c=93&f=985&t=243828
http://spatialgalaxy.net/2010/03/28/speculations-on-the-file-geodatabase-api/
http://www.spatialdbadvisor.com/blog/121/the-shapefile-manifesto/