[gdal-dev] GDAL Speed Optimization

Stefano Moratto stefano.moratto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 05:04:27 EDT 2010

Iván,

I evaluated the use of mapnik but I develop on Windows and setup it on that
platform is not easy as on Unix/Linux. Also I develop in delphi, so I have
do create the bindings by myself....
I would like to use mapnik in my project as a replacement of my custom
render but I have to transform the openstreet data in my own format (I use a
relational version of the GDF) because I want not to add another db server.
I should have to had a new datasource for mapnik and in order to do that I
must be able to recompile it ;-)
My application is a desktop application and my customer have to produce some
reports for the local area government in order to plan alternative path in
case of hazard in the highway. The deployment term in near so I have no time
to try the direct use of mapnk.

The actual solution works but it is not rapid as I would like ( I have to
wait for 30 seconds in order to get an a3 bitmap).

Have you experience of mapnik on windows?

Regards,
Stefano

2010/6/11 Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es>

> El día Thursday 10 June 2010 09:49:01, Stefano Moratto dijo:
> > I use GDAL to download tiles (jpeg) from OpenstreetMap and to compose a
> > bitmap of the area that is being viewed. The resulting bitmap (not
> > compressed) is warped  and displayed.
>
> Hhhhmmm. Personally, I think you're doing it wrong.
>
> If you really need speed for custom reprojections of OSM data, the best
> thing
> to do is to render the data locally with Mapnik. i.e.:
>
> - Download a planet file
> - Put it in PostGIS via osm2pgsql
> - Configure Mapnik to use the projection you need
> - Use Mapnik to get the desired area rendered
>
> You might incur in a speed penalty due to the rendering itself, but you
> guarantee that there will be no artifacts due to the image warping.
>
> And also, you might get a boost by reprojecting the vector data inside
> PostGIS
> so Mapnik doesn't have to reproject it on-the-fly.
>

> I realise that setting Mapnik is quite a lot of work at first, but it's an
> idea that is worth considering in your case.
>

> Cheers,
> --
> Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es>
>
> Un ordenador no es una televisión ni un microondas: es una herramienta
> compleja.

Dr.Eng. Stefano Moratto
stefano.moratto at gmail.com
stefano.moratto at csiat.it