[gdal-dev] Problems in setting PixelFunctionType and SourceTransferType in VRTDerivedRasterBand

Marco Nicoletti nicoletti at consorzio-innova.it
Thu Jun 17 06:36:26 EDT 2010

This is a problem which regards all the gdal versions and is about the Python
GDAL bindings.

It seems to be impossible to setup PixelFunctionType and SourceTransferType
in VRTDerivedRasterBand from Python Gdal.

This is an example using IPython:
In [20]: vrtdriver = gdal.GetDriverByName('VRT')
In [21]: vrtdset = vrtdriver.Create('vrtdset.vrt', 1000, 1000, 0)
In [22]: vrtdset.AddBand(gdal.GetDataTypeByName('Float32'),
options=['subClass=VRTDerivedRasterBand', 'PixelFunctionType=phase',
'SourceTransferType=CFloat64'])
Out[22]: 0
In[23]: vrtdset.FlushCache()

Once these commands are run, the output file vrtdataset.vrt does not contain
the element PixelFunctionType in its VRTDerivedRasterBand :
<VRTDataset rasterXSize="1000" rasterYSize="1000">
    <VRTRasterBand dataType="Float32" band="1"
subClass="VRTDerivedRasterBand"/>
</VRTDataset>

On the contrary we would expect this result:
<VRTDataset rasterXSize="1000" rasterYSize="1000">
    <VRTRasterBand dataType="Float32" band="1"
subClass="VRTDerivedRasterBand">
           <PixelFunctionType>phase</PixelFunctionType>
           <SourceTransferType>"CFloat64"</SourceTransferType>
    </VRTRasterBand>
</VRTDataset>

Of course we have omitted the part concerning the Source Dataset.