[gdal-dev] Re: ESRI file geodatabase support

Eric Wolf ebwolf at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 12:32:39 EDT 2010

Matt's chicken-and-egg point seems dead-on. Except that Jack Dangermond
abhors a vacuum and ESRI has been focused on higher-order issues than file
formats. They are trying to provide topological constraints in the database
(or file) and things like geometric networks (which are really just a set of
topologically consistent linear features). The good ol' Shapefile doesn't
even come close to cutting the mustard. ArcSDE imposes these on other RDBMS.
The Personal Geodatabases did it in MDBs. And the File Geodatabase does it
without dependency on Microsoft Jet.

Another way to look at the open spec issue (which echoes ESRIs sentiment) is
that it's rather easy to screw up topology constraints. As Peter mentioned,
SDE sometimes doesn't like Oracle tables created by GDAL. The format of the
tables may be fine - but the topological relations may not be right. I'm
betting ESRI created File Geodatabase mainly to get away from the Personal
Geodatabase because it was too easy to muck with the MDB in Access and screw
up the higher order relationships.

File Geodatabases, like Shapefiles and Personal Geodatabases, are intended
as a means to exchange data. You export your data from ArcSDE into one of
these formats and give it to someone to use. Shapefiles are stripped of
topology. Personal Geodatabases only really work on platforms Microsoft
supports. File Geodatabases are the next logical step.

SpatialLite seems like a really strong contender. How do we get ESRI to play
along?

Eric B. Wolf                    New! 720-334-7734
USGS Geographer
Center of Excellence in GIScience
PhD Student
CU-Boulder - Geography