[gdal-dev] OGR SDE driver failing on empty tables

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Fri Jun 25 03:38:35 EDT 2010

Hi list,

using Mapserver on OGR SDE layers we get error messages for empty tables.

msOGRFileNextShape(): OGR error. SE_shape_generate_rectangle: -139/The
specified coordinate exceeds the valid coordinate range

To me it seems this should fail silently, and we should just end up with
an empty image from Mapserver.

nSDEErr = SE_shape_generate_rectangle( &sEnvelope, hRectShape );
if( nSDEErr != SE_SUCCESS)
    poDS->IssueSDEError( nSDEErr, "SE_shape_generate_rectangle");
    return FALSE;

Is this Mapserver's or OGR's responsibility to fail silently? How can we
achieve this best?

We are using GDAL 1.7.0 (and Mapserver 5.2.3).