[gdal-dev] Getting error with gdaladdo on Tiff files

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Jun 26 22:19:58 EDT 2010

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Stephen Woodbridge
> <woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a few Spot image files and ran the following. Is there a good way to
>> check the integrity of the original image. Should I have used some other
>> options?
>
> Steve,
>
> I imagine the problem is due to a broken system libtiff.  You
> can check the integrity of the original file using:
>
>   gdalinfo -checksum file1.tif
>
> I would suggest trying to rebuild GDAL using the internal libtiff.  The
> system libtiff often has subtle issues with overview building which
> requires zipping back and forth between the base and overview
> image when doing io.
>
> Best regards,

Ok, ran the checksum on the 4 original files and no issues reported.

My gdal-1.5.2 build is a debian package that I build from source and my
debian/rules file has the following configure:

     for V in $(PYVERS); do \
         PYTHON=/usr/bin/python$$V ./configure --prefix=/usr \
             --mandir=\$$\{prefix\}/share/man \
             --includedir=\$$\{prefix\}/include/gdal \
             --with-threads \
             --with-grass=no \
             --with-ecw=no \
             --with-mrsid=no \
             --with-jp2mrsid=no \
             --with-libtiff=internal \
             --with-geotiff=internal \
             --with-jasper \
             --with-netcdf \
             --with-xerces \
             --with-geos \
             --with-sqlite \
             --with-curl \
             --with-pg \
             --with-ogdi \
             --with-mysql \
             --with-perl \
             --with-ruby \
             --with-python \
             --with-cfitsio=no; \
         mv GDALmake.opt GDALmake.opt-$$V; \
     done

So it looks like I am already building it with internal libtiff and geotiff.

GDAL is now configured for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

   Installation directory:    /usr
   C compiler:                gcc -g -O2
   C++ compiler:              g++ -g -O2

   LIBTOOL support:           yes

   LIBZ support:              external
   GRASS support:             no
   CFITSIO support:           no
   PCRaster support:          internal
   NetCDF support:            yes
   LIBPNG support:            external
   LIBTIFF support:           internal (BigTIFF=yes)
   LIBGEOTIFF support:        internal
   LIBJPEG support:           external
   LIBGIF support:            external
   OGDI support:              yes
   HDF4 support:              yes
   HDF5 support:              yes
   Kakadu support:            no
   JasPer support:            yes (GeoJP2=no)
   ECW support:               no
   MrSID support:             no
   GRIB support:              no
   cURL support (wms/wcs/...):yes
   PostgreSQL support:        yes
   MySQL support:             yes
   Xerces-C support:            yes
   Expat support:             yes
   ODBC support:              yes
   PGeo support:              yes
   OCI support:               no
   SDE support:               no
   DODS support:              no
   SQLite support:            yes
   DWGdirect support          no
   PANORAMA GIS support:      no
   INFORMIX DataBlade support:no
   GEOS support:              yes

   Old-gen python          no
   SWIG Bindings:          python ruby perl

   Statically link PROJ.4:    no
   enable OGR building:       yes
   enable pthread support:    yes
   hide internal symbols:     no

I'll keep poking at this. Please let me know if you have any other ideas
to look at. I'll also check the system for any possible old packages or
libs lying around.

Thanks,
   -Steve