[gdal-dev] OpenDWG, Open Design Alliance

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 29 06:29:34 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >From time to time it would be nice if I could read DWG files from OS-GIS.
>
> OGR has the option to read DWG through the Open Design Alliance DWGdirect
> library - which is only available for registered users.
>
> For inhouse use it would be affordable for me to become a ODA member.
>
> Before I would try to do so - can I ask if someone on this list has
> experiences with the library? Does it still work with the current gdal
> trunk? Is it worth the efforts?

Andreas,

I have not attempted to maintain this driver for some time,
and I suspect there have been changes in the dwgdirect
library that may be a problem.  If you try it, I'm sure we would
appreciate a report.

I would also note there is a new open source dwg effort
ongoing and that as that matures we might be able to
utilize that.