[gdal-dev] Raster/vector intersections in PostGIS WKT Raster

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Tue Jun 29 14:15:51 EDT 2010

>> wktraster makes it quite simple to achieve this. Is there any database
>> layout you recommend. (A table for the image and one for each pyramid, or
>> put all the tiles into one table having an attribute "level",.....).
>>

>I'd recommend one table for each separate tiled image. That's, in
>fact, one of the ways WKT Raster works, in terms of raster table
>arrangement.

If you fetch tiles in order to display them one by one, I would recommand that you import all your images in the same table. Even if they do not form a rectangular coverage. WKT Raster is very different than Oracle GeoRaster in this aspect. A table can store any arrangement of tiles not necessarily forming a complete rectangular image (which is often the case for big coverages).

If your client expect tiles to feed a big complete raster buffer before displaying it and can not deel with eventual missing tiles, then load each rasters in a separate table the Oracle way.

I suggest you read section 3.1 of http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRaster/Documentation01

Pierre