[gdal-dev] Raster/vector intersections in PostGIS WKT Raster

Pierre Racine Pierre.Racine at sbf.ulaval.ca
Wed Jun 30 09:48:38 EDT 2010

>Now, going back to the WKT Raster. I have loaded Raster on PostGIS before using TerraLib and I believe
>there is a very large project called TerraAmazon using that combination. In terms of query and
>functionality I know that TerraLib also does raster/vector intersection too but I am wondering how the
>overall raster performance comparison looks like; loading time, query time, limitations, etc.

You can do raster/vector intersection in SQL using TerraLib? Really? Please tell me how. Does TerraLib provide a SQL API for manipulating raster?

As far as I can see from the TerraLib doc, TerraLib implemented an Oracle like relational schema for raster: one table for the raster and one table for the associated tiles. WKT Raster is more simple and flexible in that everything is stored in one table. It is very similar to the PostGIS geometry schema: each raster tile, like a geometry, has its own identity and georeference.

Pierre