[gdal-dev] Proposal to split this list into gdal-dev and gdal-users

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 3 10:20:49 EST 2010

Ari Jolma wrote:
> Folks,
>
> gdal-dev has grown to more than 10 mails per day. There are a lot of
> mails about using gdal (often programming questions but still just using
> gdal through one of the APIs). I propose to split this list into
> gdal-dev (for mails that relate to development of and bugs in gdal) and
> gdal-users. If users want to get the attention of specific developer
> (who knows the inner workings best) I propose a habit of adding into the
> subject the name of the driver or HL interface or another identifier.

Ari,

The gdal-dev list has a pretty large subscription count (1341) though we
can assume many of those are not humans receiving and reading the emails.

I have a few concerns with starting a gdal-users.

1) It would turn into a "support ghetto" of unanswered questions if
the developers and knowledgable folks don't subscribe to it.

2) Because there are already 1300 people subscribed to gdal-dev now it would
be difficult to convince users to move over to gdal-users.

In fact, if we were to establish a gdal-users I almost wonder if it wouldn't
be best to move everyone to it and require developers to resubscribe to
gdal-dev.

To me the most obvious benefit to having a gdal-users list is that we
could do routine stuff like voting on PSC motions on gdal-dev without
feeling we are stuffing the mailbox of many folks who don't care about
our administrative junk.  I do try to include Motion: in the subject of
these administrative emails so they are easily skipped by those who don't
care and easily recognised by PSC members as requiring review.

I must confess even I don't read every gdal-dev email.  Some threads I
skim or skip once I'm reasonably convinced it isn't an area of interest
of mine. I can imagine the traffic is daunting for those with a casual
interest in GDAL.

If we were to split the list, I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to
actually split it into three:

   gdal-users - for folks using GDAL utilities or using it as a user
                (rather than developer) in an application like MapServer,
                QGIS, etc.   Obviously if some/most internals developers
                do not subscribe here it will be hard to get good
                answers!
   gdal-dev - for developers - both application developers using GDAL and
              and those of us developing GDAL internals.  Those using
              swig scripting interfaces also likely belong here.
   gdal-admin - for GDAL administrative discussions including PSC votes,
                and more perhaps "community oriented" discussions like
                this one.  All committers and PSC members and other
                dedicated community members could be a member here.

If we did have such a split I think we would still want to announce
new RFCs and other substantial discussions on all three lists even
if the actual discussion is directed to one list.

However, all things considered I'm not certain how much a split will help
and it seems it will end up splitting the community in ways that makes it
hard to keep people aware of what is going on, and given an opportunity
to speak up when appropriate.  At most I can only work up enough
enthusiasm for perhaps a +0 on this idea.

As an aside, I also think that the nabble and similar interfaces are no
longer supporting posting to the list (if they ever did).  Getting them
working again might make casual participation easier for some folks.