[gdal-dev] using encrypted data

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Wed Mar 3 10:55:54 EST 2010

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, Yilmaz Arslanoglu wrote:

> Hi all;
>
> One of our customer wants to share their data which is in ESRI Shapefile
> format. However, they also would like to limit the usage of this data
> such that the contents will be utilized only through our software, and
> not for any other purposes.

   My recommendation is to accomplish this through contractual measures
protected by law rather than technical measures.  Attempts to substitute
technology rather than clarify legal relationships tend to fail and cause
more problems than they are worth.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/     http://KillBillC61.ca

   manufacturers, can pry control over my camcorder, computer,
   home theatre, or portable media player from my cold dead hands!"