[gdal-dev] Re: Memory access violation withGDALGetRandomRasterSample and NITF/JPEG2000

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Mar 5 04:44:28 EST 2010

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam <at> pobox.com> writes:

> Ah, I hadn't realized mrsid was built in too.  If you set the GDAL_SKIP
> environment variable to JP2ECW then the JP2ECW driver will not be
> registered and things should fall through to JP2MrSID.

JPEG2000 is perhaps the only file format that has several drivers available and
therefore the possibility or need to use GDAL_SKIP is not obvious to users. It
is documented in a not-so-easy-to-find place
(http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ConfigOptions). Perhaps it would be worth
mentioning separately on info pages for each JPEG2000 driver. It might be good
to order the drivers also so that JP2MrSID driver (or JP2KAK) would be the first
one so it would get selected by default. JP2ECW driver is often rather fast but
it seems to have some odd bugs. At least a couple of years ago it surprised be
by producing lossy output from lossless images which were created with Kakadu.

-Jukka Rahkonen-