[gdal-dev] Polygonize: are these steps the right ones?

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 07:54:33 EST 2010

I should have sent this to the list and not just Jorge. Anyway, the
problem is solved.

Jorge Arevalo kirjoitti:
> The problem is that the MEM-based layer doesn't have fields. So, if I
> use "0" as iPixValField, I get an error, because there's no field with
> index 0 in the Feature. Of course, the same result if I use any value
>
>> 0.
>>

> I thought the solution was to "modify" the Layer's Feature Definition
> to allow fields in the Features created. So, I created a new Feature
> Defintion, with a Field Definition of one field, of type OFTReal.
> Then, I created a new Feature following this schema, and I added this
> Feature to the Layer. I know, it's not the best way, and it didn't
> work. But I don't know how to "force" the MEM-based layer to allow
> fields in its features.

Jorge,

You can manipulate (well, add fields only) the schema of the layer with
the CreateField method:
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/classOGRLayer.html#00b1376a1eabb1298ef278f92f6d84be

This works for in-memory layers. Depending on the driver, when you add a
feature, the schema may become read-only.

Best regards,

Ari