[gdal-dev] Re: How to divide a raster layer into a set of tiles?

Christian Müller christian.mueller at nvoe.at
Mon Mar 22 16:35:58 EDT 2010

gdal_retile.py definitely creates georeferenced tiles, I developed this
utility.

I did some experiments reprojecting the single tiles while retiling, but it
simply does not work. As a consequence I canceled the reprojecting support.

The solution for your problem is:

1) Use gdal_merge to create the big image
2) reproject with gdal_warp
3) use gdal_retile to create your new tiles

I did a lot of experiments to avoid creating the big picture without
success.