[gdal-dev] VRT creation with Python

Michael Aye kmichael.aye at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 18:22:34 EDT 2010

Dear all,

I have some, as of yet unpublished, PDS data I am reading via a well working
simple vrt definition looking like this:

<VRTDataset rasterXSize="1092" rasterYSize="1056">
 <VRTRasterBand dataType="UInt16" band="1" subClass="VRTRawRasterBand">
   <SourceFilename
relativetoVRT="1">FC1_2005-06-23T21.55.54.000Z_ID10_0000019407_F1.img</SourceFilename>
   <ImageOffset>8704</ImageOffset>
   <PixelOffset>2</PixelOffset>
   <LineOffset>2184</LineOffset>
   <ByteOrder>LSB</ByteOrder>
 </VRTRasterBand>
</VRTDataset>

which is saved as a FC1.vrt file.

How can I programmatically opening many more of these images without
creating another vrt file for each?
Basically, how can I change the SourceFilename programmatically for the
loaded virtual driver? For the dataset I can't see a handle, as the metadata
for a dataset I load in with this vrt is empty.

I appreciate any hints or literature I really should read that I ignored so
far. ;)

Best regards,
Michael