[gdal-dev] Re: GDAL with netCDF4 support

scizmeli sa.cizmeli at usherbrooke.ca
Wed Mar 24 09:55:13 EDT 2010

Parts of this message have been posted in DebianGIS today. Sorry for the
cross-post.

I would strongly encourage the inclusion of netcdf-4 inside GDAL. Not merely
for HDF5, but also for OpenDAP.

I just recently discovered that OpenDAP libraries are now being included
built-in in the new netcdf4 : http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/.
Did not try it out myself yet, but then maybe we should think of dropping
the OpenDAP support into GDAL but rather go for netcdf4? I am sure OpenDAP
could will be maintained in time much better inside netcdf than in GDAL.

OpenDAP is a very good and widely used protocol to share data over the
internet. UNIDATA now confirms this by including it into their netcdf-4.
Moreover, the new internal data models of netcdf, hdf and OpenDAP have been
merged into the Common Data Model, CDM,
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/CDM/. I think it will be
very wise to include OpenDAP/netcdf-4 support in GDAL. By the way,
GDAL/netcdf-4 seems to be my only was of being able to access OpenDAP data
from inside R.

I am ready to be a part of the team and help for this and many other things.
All I need would a little be of help to get me started.

Servet