[gdal-dev] rgdal source code

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Mar 26 04:33:45 EDT 2010

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Ivan wrote:

> Roger,
>
> I in fact did my homework, but I've got a C.
>
> As you can see on my previous message I did find the RGDAL Source Forge page
> where it shows the CVS instructions ===> [1] <===. That would give a B+ at
> least, no? If it worked.
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at rgdal.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/rgdal login
> Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at rgdal.cvs.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/rgdal
> CVS password:
> cvs [login aborted]: connect to
> rgdal.cvs.sourceforge.net(216.34.181.108):2401 failed: Connection refused
>
> That was a dead end.

Correct. When I tried, anonymous checkout from sourceforge was also
blocked - nothing we've done, maybe something sourceforge has done. I have
changed the main description to:

"WARNING: rgdal is only available for download from CRAN - this repository
is only used for development and browsing of source code. NEVER use the
very out of date file bundles for download from this site!!! See
http://rgdal.sourceforge.net for link."

Short of migrating to R-forge (which I have done for another R package,
spdep), there isn't much that can be done with sourceforge, I'm afraid
(sourceforge isn't my favorite place to be).

cc: Tim: Any idea why the anonymous checkout fails? Longer term - is
migration to SVN on R-Forge worth considering?

Roger

> I download some of those zip packages from rgdal.sourceforge.net but they
> only have binary that requires FWTools installation.
>
> Another dead end.
>
> But you are right I should have search a little more to find the CRAN page.
> So I am downloading rgdal_0.6-2.5.zip now. Let's see how it goes.

That is the current Windows CRAN binary, get rgdal_0.6-25.tar.gz for the
source. Install the Windows binary within R - do *not* treat the zip
archive as an archive - it is just a frozen binary version of the source
for Windows.

Roger

--
Roger Bivand