[gdal-dev] Thin Plate Spline

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Tue May 4 07:54:03 EDT 2010

At:

http://mapserver.sara.nl/downloads/gdal_tps.png

you can see a screenshot of the original image (right) and the
georeferenced one (left, rotated almost 90 degrees). The red markers
with the number 3 inside them show one of the control points: to the
right the scan pixel  (5023/3421), to the left the targeted
georeferenced coordinate in EPSG:28992 (121527/487174). As you see, the
georeferenced point is not exactly on the border of parcel 7, as I
expected. Above the map you see the four coordinates I used as control
points; I added four extra points half way the original ones, so the
complete warp was done with 8 control points.

Adding or removing points doesn't make any difference, and the other
control points are shifted too, although slightly differently. When I
use "-order 1" with the same control points I get exactly the same
picture; however, with really weird control points the images for -tps
and -order 1 get distorted in different ways.

It's only 10 meters or so, but it is very visible and too much for my
purposes.  How can I get a georeferenced image with the control points
exactly on their indicated location, no matter what happens in between?

Jan