[gdal-dev] Using GDAL with Windows 7

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Tue May 4 14:39:22 EDT 2010

Discourse Maps wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is GDAL compatible with Windows 7?

At least with MinGW it is possible to compile and use GDAL in Win 7.
I've done that and also compiled the Perl bindings (and Perl itself)
succesfully in Win 7.

> Specifically I am trying to use a Windows 7 machine (with ArcGIS 9.3.1
> and Python 2.5) to install the bindings.

I'm not sure what ArcGIS has to do with this, but I've got no reason to
believe that the Python bindings are impossible to compile and use in Win 7.

> GDAL 1.6 did not work, but perhaps the newest version of GDAL 1.7.x does??

Perhaps you could share us why GDAL 1.6 did not work? Which compiler did
you use? What was the error message?

Best regards,

Ari Jolma