[gdal-dev] Driver registering in Python required?

K.-Michael Aye kmichael.aye at gmail.com
Thu May 6 06:56:58 EDT 2010

Dear all,

is registering of drivers still (or at all) required in Python?
In the API tutorial i see:

import gdal
from gdalconst import *

dataset = gdal.Open( filename, GA_ReadOnly )
if dataset is None:

I am just puzzled because the first sentence of the tutorial states
it's required, and then nothing like that can be seen in Python. The
gdalconst import * can't have anything to do with it , can it?

I do opening of images for reading currently successfully, but was
wondering if i was just lucky and something could go wrong.

Best regards,
Michael