[gdal-dev] Rename a field with ogr2ogr?

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Tue May 11 14:09:43 EDT 2010

Aleksey,

You cannot rename a field in an existing dataset, but while using ogr2ogr you
can indeed use -sql to do the renaming during the conversion.

For example : ogr2ogr outdataset indataset -sql "SELECT src_field1 AS
dst_field1, src_field2 AS dst_field2 FROM sourcelayer"

See http://gdal.org/ogr/ogr_sql.html

(Note that the above OGR SQL is not used when the source dataset is a
database. In that case, the SQL string is just passed to the server. But for
your use case, this is standard SQL so it shouldn't matter if it's run by OGR
or by the server. And if you need the SQL query to be run by OGR, you can
add "-dialect OGRSQL" to the ogr2ogr command line.)