[gdal-dev] Re: Hoe to convert ERDAS imagine(.img) files to ARC info ASCII files viceversa

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Tue May 18 05:19:28 EDT 2010

I've never used C#, mainly use python, but guess the process will be
similar.
The idea is that you:
1) open your source dataset (the img file)
2) instantiate the arcinfo ascii driver (gdal.GetDriverByName in python
to get a driver instance)
3) use the driver instance to create a new file with the correct
parameters (size, #bands, datatype)
4) copy the metadata (projection, geotransform) from the input to the
output file
5) read data from the input file
6) write data to the output file

Depending on the size of the file and the amount of memory, you might
need to read/write in a loop per chunk or line instead of reading the
whole shebang at once and writing after that.
About the details (in C#) I can't help you, you'll have to digg a bit
yourself. Maybe there are some C# examples included in the gdal source code?

Good luck!
Vincent.