[GRASS-dev] Re: [gdal-dev] gdaldem hillshade directions / GRASS r.shaded.relief

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed May 19 19:38:02 EDT 2010

Hamish,

I've taken some time to experiment a bit with GRASS and GRASS behaviour is
correct of course, so sorry for the noise.

I've finally identified why gdaldem (and initially Matt's hillshade utility)
got it wrong. GRASS r.mapcalc atan(x,y) function has its parameters reversed
in comparison to C atan2() used by GDAL : atan(x,y)=atan2(y,x)....

So the aspect computation was wrong which could also be seen as a wrong
interpretation of the azimuth parameter. But for the particular value of
az=315deg, the beauty of trigonometry makes it such that cos(az-pi/2-atan2
(y,x)) = cos(az-pi/2- atan2(x,y))...

Fixed as ticket http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3586

Best regards,

Even