[gdal-dev] Re: Modify virtual file attributes

Luca Fasano lucafasano at interfree.it
Thu May 20 09:04:06 EDT 2010

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Luca,
>
> I reviewed the VRTRasterBand class and found that it was not marking the
> VRT as needing a write to disk for some items that change including
> the unit type, offset, scale and category names.  I have fixed this in
> trunk:
>
>    http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/19741
>
> I see there is also no overriding of SetDescription() on the band, so
> the code does not know to flush it.  This is slightly more involved to
> fix, but could be done.
>
> Note that the DataType of a band cannot be changed in GDAL, and while
> it is exposed as an attribute in Python, you should treat it as readonly.
>
> If you would like the set methods for unittype, offset and scale exposed
> in Python please file a ticket.  Likewise, if you file a ticket I can
> migrate the flushing fixes in 19741 back into 1.7 stable.
>
> Best regards,
> --

Frank,
thanks for your reply.

As you suggested, I created 3 tickets:
 - #3587: Set and Get methods missing in Python bindings
 - #3588: a ticket to keep track of changeset
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/19741 for missing flushes. I suppose it
can be considered closed.
 - #3589: SetDescription method should be overridden in VRTRasterBand

Best regards
Luca