[gdal-dev] Re: Shapefiles2tiles

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at deimos-space.com
Wed Nov 3 10:50:08 EDT 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Jukka Rahkonen
<jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi> wrote:
> Jorge Arévalo <jorge.arevalo <at> deimos-space.com> writes:
>

>> Question: is there a faster way to overlay vector data on Google Maps,
>> applying colors? Without installing Geoserver, Mapserver. Only a web
>> server (apache). Or at least, improve the entire process of
>> rasterizing - creating tiles. If there's a problem during gdal2tiles
>> execution, you need to start again creating all the tiles.
>
> Just thinking, but perhaps it could be possible to split the vectors into vector
> tiles in KML format into a similar directory tree system that is used for image
> tiles. Would it be TVS then, as Tile Vector Service?

Sounds interesting. My input data consist, basically, in thousands of
non-overlapping polygons. Actually, I have about 10 MIF files, that
cover Spain, with this format. If I create a kind of "KML tree"
structure, like the one created with gdal2tiles, it could work. And I
wouldn't need to resample my data. That's what I lose when I convert
from vector to raster: I need to resample the raster to get tiles for
each zoom level.

> Feels sad to render good
> vectors into dull static tiles just for showing them on top of some base map. I
> suppose that with KML it would be also rather easy to let the end user adjust
> colours etc. with the application and attach some useful attribute data.

I know I can overlay a KML file in Google Maps. I suppose I could read
this file (or files) from file system and automatically overlay it
(them)

> OpenLayers with transparent tiles are boring (but fast), your customers may
> deserve something better.

Doesnt't depend on me. Anyway, they only need transparent tiles over a
base map, to see a color-coded mobile phone signal coverage level
(very good, good, regular). Is it a better way of showing this
information?

Many thanks!

--
Jorge Arévalo