[gdal-dev] Re: DXF Writer and labels: encoding, angle and anchor position?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 3 19:14:03 EDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Again some question on the dxf-writer, now with regards to labels:
>
> * some of my special characters don't display correctly, e.g. the Unicode
> 2030 sign (german Promille sign) doesn't display (neither in the FME
> viewer nor in Autocad Design Review) - some other "strange characters" are
> displayed instead. Do I have to set an encoding for the target dxf? My
> source Postgis table is in UTF-8.

Andreas,

Hmm, encoding in DXF is not something I have given any
consideration to so far.  The PostGIS driver should be
returning the text in utf-8, but I do nothing special to
process text read or written from/to DXF.  I ought to be.

Could you file a ticket on this issue?  It would be helpful
to include a small example DXF created with autocad that
does display the character(s) in question properly and then
an example of what happens with OGR.

> * should label angle work? (in my case it doesn't)

I have confirmed that when trying to write MTEXT
entities the style string is checked for angle and
trying to write it.  There might be problems with this
though I thought it was working in my test suite.  If
you file a ticket, with example input I will dig into the
details.

> * should anchor position work?

Yes, it should.  There is code to translate the anchor.
If it isn't working please file a ticket.