[gdal-dev] Motion: Promote GDAL/OGR 1.7.3RC2 to final release

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 9 11:22:22 EST 2010

Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> gdal was configured with:
>
>         --with-geotiff=external   \
>         --with-tiff=external      \
>         --with-libtiff=external   \
>
> and libtiff is the one that comes with CentOS 5.5:
>
> [rpmbuild at rpm-devel gdalautotest-1.7.0]$ rpm -qa | grep tiff
> libgeotiff-1.2.4-3.el5
> libtiff-devel-3.8.2-7.el5_5.5
> libgeotiff-devel-1.2.4-3.el5
> libtiff-3.8.2-7.el5_5.5

Peter,

Well, that explains it.  Passing the autotest suite will require a
substantially newer libtiff.  I would suggest you just disregard tiff
related failures, and remove any tiff related scripts that cause a
crash.

But this sensitivity of GDAL to libtiff bugs is the reason I advocate for
having libtiff4 available for GDAL, though hopefully in a way that does
not interfere with the system libtiff.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow up on that on the EL mailing list
as I've backburnered my RPM work for a few days.