[gdal-dev] An error in building overviews for

Zhenyu Lu luzhenyu1981 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 13:05:23 EST 2010

Hi, Even:

Thanks for the information. I double checked the GDAL-1.5.2 compiled .net
dll. But I can't find the function named as gdaladdo. What I can only find
is three BuildOverviews function.
So I am confused whether there is such a function in GDAL-1.5.2. I will try
to test with GDAL-1.6 to see whether I can access such function.
Thanks,

2010/11/11 Even Rouault <even.rouault at mines-paris.org>

> Actually, the HFA driver *does* support overviews. It isn't obvious why it
> does not work for you. Perhaps you should consider upgrading to a newer
> GDAL
> version, but I don't think this is an issue with GDAL 1.5.2. Does gdaladdo
> work on the dataset ? If so, then it must be rather related to something
> wrong
> in your code. The "int[] pOverviewList = { overView*2}" is a bit strange,
> but
> it is difficult to know without more context.
>
> Le jeudi 11 novembre 2010 08:00:15, Chaitanya kumar CH a écrit :
>  > Zhenyu,
> >
> > GDAL's HFA driver doesn't support creation of overviews. It can only read
> > them.
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Zhenyu Lu <luzhenyu1981 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Hi, all:
> > > I'm having an error while using function Dataset.BuildOverviews in my
> > > code. The error message is "BuildOverviews() not supported for this
> > > dataset". However, when I used the ".tif" file the BuildOverviews
> worked
> > > just fine. The
> > > code is:
> > > int[] pOverviewList = { overView*2};
> > > int[] pBandList = new int[dataset.RasterCount];
> > > int err = dataset.BuildOverviews("NEAREST", pOverviewList);
> > > if (err != (int)CPLErr.CE_None)
> > >
> > >       return null;
> > >
> > > I'm using GDAL1.5.2 and C#2.0. Is it because the HFA driver doesn't
> > > support overview? Or is it a bug? Can anyone pointed out where is my
> > > problem? Thanks a
> > > lot!
> > > --
> > > Zhenyu Lu