[gdal-dev] Re: ogr/oci import : a_srs EPSG:4230 fails

Anders Moe anders.moe at geocap.no
Mon Nov 15 09:29:06 EST 2010

Thanks a lot, Jukka, that worked.

This has me wondering is ogr2ogr2 should have a general mechanism where ogr
queries  the underlying driver  for SRS info, rather that GDAL using only
the GDAL_DATA files. This is probably not an issue when using only local
files, but transferring between spatial databases I imagine it could be
useful, since Oracle in particular has pretty extensive CS data. Then -srs
<whatever> works as long as the driver can supply the parameters.  For
example Oracle provides plenty of 3/7 arg datum shift arguments that would
be useful, but are not, to my knowledge, distributed with GDAL. This is
logically what is accomplished when using -lco ="SRID=___", but this
functionality could be lifted into  ogr proper rather than being on the
driver level. Forgive me if this is actually the case; I just assume from
this experience that it isn't.

Regards,
Anders

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Jukka Rahkonen
<jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi>wrote:

> Anders Moe <anders.moe <at> geocap.no> writes:
>

> > Hi everyone
> >

> > When importing an  ED50 (EPSG:4230) shapefile to Oracle Spatial 11g2,
> >
> > ogr2ogr -a_srs EPSG:4230 -f OCI blabla
> >
> > a get an insufficient privileges error
>

> I would have a try with -lco SRID=4230.  Ogr2ogr tries to find exact match
> and
> if that fails it tries to insert new projection definitions.
> Excerpt from http://gdal.org/ogr/drv_oci.html
> "SRID: By default this driver will attempt to find an existing row in the
> MDSYS.CS_SRS table with a well known text coordinate system exactly
> matching the
> one for this dataset. If one is not found, a new row will be added to this
> table. The SRID creation option allows the user to force use of an existing
> Oracle SRID item even it if does not exactly match the WKT the driver
> expects."
>
> -Jukka Rahkonen-

Anders Moe

Managing Director