[gdal-dev] Gdal driver not working in windows 7

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 18 14:08:53 EST 2010

Ram prasad wrote:
> The gdal driver for my format is working perfectly in windows XP but not
> in windows7. It is crashing when I run gdalinfo gdal_translate.exe with
> or without parameters. so i wrote a dummy gdal driver (the following
> code), which also is crashing in GDALDriverManager::~GDALDriverManager()
>  at the line "delete poDriver;". This also happens in windows server
> 2008. The gdal versions i tested are 1.6.0, 1.6.1. and 1.7.3
> I am using visual studio 2008
> The error message from debugger is /"Unhandled exception at 0x773f61e9
> in gdal_translate.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location
> 0x7e7fd537."/

Ram,

Are you building GDAL itself with visual studio 2008 and similar compiler
options as used for your plugin?

It has been my experience that it is not safe to build plugins with
significantly different compiler version or flags.  Also, I found that
Vista and Win7 are much more sensitive to the problems caused by mixing
versions compared to WinXP.