[gdal-dev] Unable to load CIB datasets with GDAL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 19 14:00:45 EST 2010

morabit wrote:
> Hi All,
>   In our project we are using GDAL 1.7.2 to load map data in various formats
> as CADRG, DTED, CIB, etc.
> All it's working fine but we have a big problem with the CIB format.
> For this type of datasets, the GDALOpen function fails with the following
> error message:
> 'For <frameFileName>, assert 'geoTransf[GEOTRSFRM_ROTATION_PARAM1] == 0 &&
> geoTransf[GEOTRSFRM_ROTATION_PARAM2] == 0' failed.'
>
> We checked the source code and discovered that this was due to a series of
> assert failures
> in file rpftocdataset.cpp, lines 733, 740.
>
> We tried to comment out this asserts, but now the same function fails with
> the following error message:
> 'Ignoring NITF RPF Location table since it seems to be corrupt.'
>
> We are pretty sure that our datasets are not corrupted, as the same datasets
> are loaded
> without any problems by Global Mapper v12.00 and FalconView 4.3.0.
> The gdalinfo tool seems to handle these files with no problems but if we use
> it
> with the -mm option the following errors are reported:
> Band 1 Block=256x256 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Palette
>   ERROR 6: File lacks VQ LUTs, unable to decode image
> ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0
> ERROR 6: File lacks VQ LUTs, unable to decode imagery
> ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 1, Y offset 0
> ERROR 1: Failed to compute min/max, no valid pixels found in sampling.

Bruno,

Could you create a ticket in the GDAL trac for this issue?  When I run
the nitfdump utility against the .I42 file I get messages like:

ERROR 1: Cannot read RPFIMG TRE. Not enough bytes : remaining 1350, expected 1400

Do you see anything similar when accessing the full file?

This might be an issue easier for Even to review as he wrote the RPFTOC
driver.