[gdal-dev] geotiff conflict

Julien Michel julien.michel at cnes.fr
Mon Nov 29 10:59:20 EST 2010

Even,

I am working with Julien on the same project, and you are right about
the --hide-internal-symbols option : if symbols are not hidden, we
recognize that gdal exposes tiff symbols and we manage to deal with this
case by forcing all tiff access to use gdal internal tiff library (we
have to include the headers in gdal sources in order to be sure to have
headers corresponding to symbols, it would be great to have these
headers installed by gdal, but this is another question). And the case
were gdal links with the system tiff/geotiff is working as well (but
without bigtiff support).

The problem is that we are trying to build debian/ubuntu packages, and
to do it we need to link with the system gdal , which is compiled with
--hide-internal-symbols, so we are kind of stuck here ...

I am surprised that this issue has not been reported before, we are for
sure not the only project using both gdal and geotiff  ? My bet is that
we are doing something wrong somewhere, but for now we did not come up
with it. Any idea would be very helpful ...

Regards,

Julien

Julien MICHEL