[gdal-dev] gdal python bindings for 1.7 - where to find

gregcorradini gregcorradini at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 21:04:32 EDT 2010

Hey Hannes,
I think most of your questions can be answered here
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInPython. Have you seen this? It
covers how to install the Python bindings for GDAL 1.7.x and Python 2.x. I'd
pay attention to the Dependencies subhead -- there's a few libraries and dev
headers you need installed including setuptools
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools.

Also, there's currently a problem with the easy install method described
above. Here is the ticket and the workaround for that
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3468#comment:10. Notice that swq.h should
be put in /usr/local/include to get easy install to work (at least that's
what i did. I also had to put set my PYTHONPATH to point to that install).
But everything has been working for me ;)

hope that helps.