[gdal-dev] python GetDescription() returns empty strings on 1.7.1

Matthieu Rigal rigal at rapideye.de
Mon Oct 11 11:17:05 EDT 2010

Hi Even,
actually, I was a bit too fast... I had no equiped 1.6.1 version, so I
"guessed" the result, from an output of one of the scripts I have.

Now that you told me, I reaccessed an old configuration to test it really, and
indeed it does not work, BUT :

when I have one image with several layers having names created by other
software, the GetDescription() did return it, whereas know it is not returning
it...

Regards,
Matthieu

On Monday 11 October 2010 16:43:02 you wrote:
> Selon Matthieu Rigal <rigal at rapideye.de>:
>
> Matthieu,
>
> I can reproduce in trunk too. I'm not aware that this issue was known. I'm
> even a bit surprised this has worked before as the SetDescription() method
> in GDALPamRasterBand doesn't seem to have been ever overloaded, so a bit
> of investigation is necessary.
>
> In 1.6.x branch, I suppose this worked before the band description was
> written in a .aux.xml file ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Even
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Currently running GDAL 1.7.1, I noticed a regression towards the 1.6.x
> > branch which I could not find in the tickets.
> >
> > Teh GetDescription() always seems to return empty strings, except for
> > just created file and just setted description...
> >
> > Here is a description of the bug, I don't think it is quite the expected
> >
> > result :
> >
> > ''
> >
> > The 1.6.1 returns:
> > 'test'
> >
> > Is it a known bug ? Solved in further versions ?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Matthieu
> >
> > RapidEye AG
> > Molkenmarkt 30
> > 14776 Brandenburg an der Havel
> > Germany
> >
> > Follow us on Twitter! www.twitter.com/rapideye_ag
> >
> > Head Office/Sitz der Gesellschaft: Brandenburg an der Havel
> > Management Board/Vorstand: Wolfgang G. Biedermann
> > Chairman of Supervisory Board/Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates:
> > Juergen Breitkopf
> > Commercial Register/Handelsregister Potsdam HRB 17 796
> > Tax Number/Steuernummer: 048/100/00053
> > VAT-Ident-Number/Ust.-ID: DE 199331235
> > DIN EN ISO 9001 certified
> >
> > *************************************************************************
> > Diese E-Mail enthaelt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschuetzte
> > Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese
> > E-Mail irrtuemlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den
> > Absender und vernichten Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie
> > die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.
> >
> > The information in this e-mail is intended for the named recipients
> > only. It may contain privileged and confidential information. If you
> > have received this communication in error, any use, copying or
> > dissemination of its contents is strictly prohibited. Please erase all
> > copies of the message along with any included attachments and notify
> > RapidEye AG or the sender immediately by telephone at the number
> > indicated on this page.

Matthieu Rigal
Product Development

RapidEye AG                           Tel:  +49-(0)3381-89 04 331
Molkenmarkt 30                       Fax: +49-(0)3381-89 04 101
14776 Brandenburg/Havel
Germany                                  http://www.rapideye.de