[gdal-dev] building with PDF driver on Windows + ?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Tue Oct 19 10:06:58 EDT 2010

  To all,

   Here's a list of steps for building GDAL with KDE-win's poppler.lib
on Windows (win32):

1. Install compiler ( MS VC 9 Express Ed.), or better yet use the full
MS VC 9 if you have it.
     http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2008-Visual-CPP
   I don't think the SDK is required but here's a link:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowssdk/archive/2008/02/07/windows-sdk-rtms.aspx

2. Install KDE-win32 stable 4.4.4 (http://windows.kde.org/).
     Note: In the installer unselect "skip basic settings pages" and
select "Package Manager"
     Select Bin,Devel (and Src?) for:
         poppler-vc90     0.12.4
         freetype-vc90    2.4.2-3
         lcms            1.18

3. Get latest GDAL source:
     svn checkout https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal gdal

4. Edit GDAL's nmake.opt to enable poppler (it's commented-outby
default), and edit/hack the makefile.vc to disable building of VB6
support (ATL is not included in VC Express Ed. or the SDK)

5. Build GDAL with VC's command line:
     nmake -f makefile.vc

Many thanks to Joaquim and Even for pointing the way...

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser