[gdal-dev] Re: [gdal_retile]reshape ecw

christian.mueller at nvoe.at christian.mueller at nvoe.at
Wed Oct 20 11:27:26 EDT 2010

The -ps parameter specifies the pixel width and pixel height of a
tile. You must multiply these values.

-ps  1000 1000

means 1000x1000 = 1 million pixels for each tile

As a consequence, a tile needs 1 MB .. n MB , depending on your color
model. The file size of the tiles my be smaller if compression is
used. (e. g. png), but in memory during calculations, the  raster data
is uncompressed.