[gdal-dev] opening LRIT files

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 12:18:56 EDT 2010

Hello all

I'd like to know if it is possible to open LRIT[1] files using GDAL.

The files I'm trying to open come from the GOES12 satellite. I
investigated the MSG[2] driver, which uses a XRIT decompressor
library, thinking I might be able to fool GDAL into opening my LRIT
files as if they were HRIT. I obtained the decompressor library from
EUMETSAT's website and compiled GDAL with the MSG driver (had to make
some changes to the source code, mainly correcting some includes).

Unfortunately, when trying to open my files with gdalinfo I get:

ERROR 1: The prologue of the data set could not be found at the
location specified:
/home/geo2/Dados_teste/GOES12/H-000-MSG1__-MSG1________-_________-PRO______-201002060000-__

gdalinfo failed - unable to open
'MSG(/home/geo2/Dados_teste/GOES12,201002060000,(1),Y,N,1,1)'.

The command I'm using is:

gdalinfo "MSG(/home/geo2/Dados_teste/GOES12,201002060000,(1),Y,N,1,1)"

Also, my files are named:
L-000-MSG2__-GOES12______-CHANNEL_075W-SEGMENT___-201002060000-__

So it is no wonder that GDAL complains to not being able to find the
files, since their filename doesn't have the same structure. Right now
I'm stumped, not knowing if I should just give up, or try tweaking my
filenames to match the expected format.

Has anyone had any success with such a task? Thanks

I've also looked at the ILWIS[3] software, which has a GEONETCAST
plugin that can indeed open my files. It seems to be using GDAL under
the hood, although I'm not sure. The problem is that it isn't
available for linux, which is a requirement for the task I am
handling.

[1] - http://noaasis.noaa.gov/LRIT/docs&links.html
[2] - http://www.gdal.org/frmt_msg.html
[3] - http://52north.org