[gdal-dev] Can't open 'GLOBE' DEM tile

R.Vives vivesraf at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:07:04 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I downloaded a 'GLOBE' DEM tile from the NOAA website
(http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/topo/gltiles.html). After uncompression, I
renamed it with a .bin extension, and I downloaded the header file (.hdr).

My problem is: when I try to convert this file to GeoTiff, It seems not to
be recognized by gdal. I have the same result when I do 'gdalinfo' on it:

C:\gdal_ogr>gdalinfo k10g.bin
ERROR 4: `k10g.bin' not recognised as a supported file format.

gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'k10g.bin'.

I checked the documentation, but I found nothing that could help me. How to
make this file recognized by gdal?

Thanks.

Rafael_Vives