[gdal-dev] RE: Memory leak from GDALRasterIO

BradC bchrist at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 28 11:55:40 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I am working on fixing a memory use issue in the Virtual Planet Builder
project (an off shoot of OpenSceneGraph) and have come accross the exact
issue described in this thread.

The code essential runs in a loop creating an image pyramid from a large ECW
file. During this loop there a very large number of RasterIO() calls. When
doing this memory use grows continually, seemingly without limit. If I close
and repoen my GDALDataSet regulary then I regain all the memory but it seems
from  this thread there should be a much better way to control memory use.

I have tried calling GDALSetCacheMax() with values from 1 to 1,000,000 with
no effect. I have also tried calling while(GDALFlushCacheBlock()); after
each RasterIO call, once again with no effect.

I am hoping somebody could point me in the right direction because I am
running out of ideas.

Cheers,
Brad