[gdal-dev] gdalinfo and scale/offset

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Thu Oct 28 14:35:09 EDT 2010

Even

Thanks for pointing into this that I was not aware of as it would be the
main point of my answer to Kyle's question.
But still, as it is referred in the ticket (sorry for lousy formatting
but I never learn how to do it better) the main issue occurred in the
conversion to another format (geotiff for that matter). So though an
option exists ('unscale') to account for offset/scale the natural
expectancy is that the conversion does not change the data values.

Redoing the tickets example we can see (not shown than because I
thought  it of lesser interest)

C:\SVN\mironeWC\src_C\t>gdalinfo lixo.tiff -mm
Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: lixo.tiff
Size is 21, 21
Coordinate System is `'
Origin = (-10.500000000000000,10.500000000000000)
Pixel Size = (1.000000000000000,-1.000000000000000)
Metadata:
   NC_GLOBAL#Conventions=COARDS/CF-1.0
   NC_GLOBAL#title=lixo.grd
   NC_GLOBAL#history=grdmath -R-10/10/-10/10 -I1 X Y MUL = lixo.grd
   NC_GLOBAL#GMT_version=4.5.4
   z#long_name=z
   z#_FillValue=1.#QNAN0e+000
   z#actual_range=-1, 1
   z#scale_factor=0.01
   x#long_name=x
   x#actual_range=-10, 10
   y#long_name=y
   y#actual_range=-10, 10
Image Structure Metadata:
   INTERLEAVE=BAND
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  ( -10.5000000,  10.5000000)
Lower Left  ( -10.5000000, -10.5000000)
Upper Right (  10.5000000,  10.5000000)
Lower Right (  10.5000000, -10.5000000)
Center      (   0.0000000,   0.0000000)
Band 1 Block=21x21 Type=Float32, ColorInterp=Gray
     Computed Min/Max=-100.000,100.000

It's true that we can still see a trace of the previous info about the scale

   z#actual_range=-1, 1
   z#scale_factor=0.01

but a user would need to be very very attentive to realize that and to
know that the data values were off by an 0.01 factor.

I think that in these situations the scale factor would better be
applied by default (like with the gdal_info example)

Joaquim