[gdal-dev] RFC 30: Unicode Filenames - call for discussion

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 15 14:48:51 EDT 2010

Frank,

This looks great!

One comment about the python bindings:

"""
In theory functions that return filenames, such as gdal.ReadDir?()
should return unicode strings for filenames, but from my perspective it
seems adequate to always return utf-8 strings and let the application
translate if needed.
"""

I think that's a mistake, if an app gets back a utf-8 string it has no
way of knowing what the heck it is (accept by knowing the GDAL
convention). So it will essentially always have to translate. And it's
ripe for bugs, if when testing, the utf-8 string happen to be ascii
compatible, things will just work, and then break when some odd
character is inserted later in production.

Better for GDAL to return a unicode object. If the user really needs it
as a byte string, they can convert, but the normal stuff like:

file()
os.path.*

etc.

will all work with a unicode object.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov