[gdal-dev] Using TMS driver to connect to a WMTS

Chris Bailey chris.bailey at gtri.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 17 13:31:29 EDT 2010

Has anyone looked into the possibility of configuring the GDAL TMS driver to
connect to a WMTS using the REST interface specification?

I am interested in supporting WMTS but did not know of any public servers. I
just saw this announcement:
http://my.opera.com/tastle/blog/2010/07/12/first-public-ogc-wmts-1-0-0-is-now-available

Since it is supporting the WMTS REST interfaces, I thought it might be
possible to configure a GDAL WMS description file to connect.  I have
browsed the WMTS spec and it appears that it would be possible but if
someone has an example WMS XML file (or reasons why it can't work) it could
save a lot of headaches.

Thanks,
  Chris Bailey