[gdal-dev] Backward incompatible changes in the OGR style string format (r19724)

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 12:19:32 EDT 2010

Hi All,

There have been a backward incompatible change in
r19724<http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/19724>related to the OGR
style string format. According to this change the
separator in the feature style id has been changed from '.' to ','
Unfortunately such kind of changes may cause existing applications to work
incorrectly and would also need to be fixed. For instance this change
affects the mapserver function msOGRGetSymbolId in
mapogr.cpp<http://trac.osgeo.org/mapserver/browser/trunk/mapserver/mapogr.cpp>as
well. So as to fix this issue in mapserver, we would probably require
keep the original code simultaneously, depending on the gdal version.

I'd be curious to know whether we have any compelling reason to apply these
modifications, or we just wanted to follow the feature style
specification<http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_feature_style.html>with
these changes? In the latter case I would personally in favour of
reverting these changes in gdal and handle this issue by fixing the feature
style documentation to follow the original syntax.

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Tamas