[gdal-dev] Enabling GEOS with GDAL on Windows

Jay L. jzl5325 at psu.edu
Wed Sep 22 14:42:32 EDT 2010

Afternoon all,

I have both FWTools and GDAL 1.6 (with the python bindings) installed
(windows7).  I have a pair of scripts that I would like to use the GEOS
functionality with (intersection and buffer).  I believe that FWTools
installed GEOS.  Is there a way to use the GEOS installed FWTools from my
script?

If not, what is the best place to look for information on enabling GEOS in
GDAL?  Up until this point I have used the precompiled binaries.  I have
seen the partially completed wiki pages about using NMake and CMake.  Is
that the best place to start?  Can I compile GDAL with GEOS without
Microsoft Visual C++?

Any help appreciated and I apologize if these are super basic questions.
Once I get this working I intend to create a tutorial for others looking to
access GEOS through GDAL in python.

Thanks,
Jay