[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 2.0 Notes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 23 14:00:23 EDT 2010

Ivan Lucena wrote:
>>  We can always have 1.10 and 1.11 etc. That would not be uncommon (there
>>  is for example Perl 5.10 as we're waiting for Perl 6). However, I'm for
>
> I like that.

Folks,

Well, I hate two digit releases, and they confuse the versioning
in stuff like OSGeo4W.  Not a compelling reason.  Also, without a
hard limit, I might never try a jump to 2.0!

>>  having 2.0, not just because numbers ran out but because that would be a
>>  chance to do something a bit more major. One idea would be to make a
>>  general call for new ideas and wish lists.
>
> But maybe the support for UNICODE could be considered a major change. No?

The approach to unicode has very backward compatible in order to avoid
a need for a major version.  It has also been spread over multiple releases
with utf-8 for OGR field values done in 1.6 or 1.7, and filenames done in
1.8.