[gdal-dev] Why not netCDF output?

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Mon Sep 27 16:58:36 EDT 2010

> Yes, that's probably doable, but clearly not trivial. I add a hard time (look
> at how ugly/complicated the code now looks...) doing something similar in
> GDALSuggestedWarpOutput2() to guess the extent of the target extent when such
> discontinuities in the reprojection occur (and it  probably doesn't solve 100%
> situations). Something similar (in spirit) would probably be needed in
> GDALWarpOperation::ComputeSourceWindow().

Yes, big it is and I confess that I didn't even try to comprehend what
it does. But my suggestion was perhaps simpler (in mind).
My idea was to just give a warning that a discontinuity had occurred and
advise that the SAMPLE_STEPS can be of much help.
And how to detect the discontinuity? Sure that's the key question, but
on the current case the -180 and the 180 points should be coincident on
the target grid, or at least very, very close (in terms of target grid
steps). If they aren't ... ring the bell

Well just a thought.

Joaquim