[gdal-dev] ogr problems with MapInfo

Sebastian E. Ovide sebastian.ovide at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 06:34:05 EDT 2010

no luck...

gdal is compiled with --enable-debug and CPL_DEBUG=ON

the only output that I get is

gis at mapserver:~/data/tmp$ ogrinfo .
OGR: OGROpen(.) failed.
OGR: OGROpen(.) failed.
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `.' with the following drivers.
  -> ESRI Shapefile
  -> MapInfo File

can verbosity be increased further ?

and with TAB2TAB the only messages that I get are:

gis at mapserver:/tmp$ /home/gis/src/mitab-1.7.0/mitab/tab2tab
/home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.TAB test.TAB
ERROR 3: stat() failed for /home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.id

ERROR 3: Open() failed for /home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.map
ERROR 3: /home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.TAB could not be opened as a
MapInfo dataset.
Failed to open /home/gis/data/tmp/CA_AbandonedMine.TAB

(again, If I copy those files to another folder, then I can open them....
very odd !)

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com
> wrote:

> Sebastian E. Ovide wrote:
> > ok guys, something weird is happening...
> >
> > I have the data in a windows share folder on another machine. So I have
> > mounted that folder on a VBox Ubuntu. ogrinfo would not work on those
> files.
> >
> > I copied those files to another directory:
> >
> > us is the smb folder
> > tmp is a local folder
> >
> > cp us/* tmp/
> >
> > on tmp ogrinfo works like a charm !!!
> >
> > any ideas ?
> >

> That's very odd.
>
> Perhaps try setting the environment variable CPL_DEBUG=ON and try again.
> This may give us a clue about what is going wrong.
>
> You could also try reading your dataset using the MITAB library's
> TAB2TAB program directly and see if you get more useful info.
> (http://mitab.maptools.org/)
>
> Daniel
> --
> Daniel Morissette