[gdal-dev] kml superoverlay help request

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Mon Apr 4 01:43:19 EDT 2011

I received a batch of files that are in a kml format that looks like the
"KML SUPEROVERLAY" that gdal supports.
There is a kmz flle which when unzipped contains a batch of JPEGs and a file
called doc.kml that describes them.

My "gdalinfo --formats" command says "KMLSUPEROVERLAY (rwv): Kml Super
Overlay" but I don't know how to feed it the files.
I tried the KMZ, the unpacked directory, and the doc file

ERROR 4: `nc4806-50.kmz' not recognised as a supported file format.
ERROR 4: `nc4806-50' not recognised as a supported file format.
ERROR 4: `nc4806-50/doc.kml' not recognised as a supported file format.

Or maybe I am wrong about what a kml super overlay is?
My google searches only turned up help with writing the kml files, but I am
assuming the formats "rwv" means it can read, write, and also do something
else starting with the letter 'v' -- always wondered about those codes like
rw+ maybe the + means update or append?? (And "rov" means remotely operated
vehicle? oops context shift sorry)

Thanks in advance

Brian Wilson
Corvallis OR